Sunday, October 26, 2008

Save Green by going Green - Energy Savings!

Saving money is great, but when I can pair it with energy savings, it's a 2fer! My husband and I have had a freezer in our garage for years. It has always been used for bulk food purchases, and although the garage has not been totally convenient, I have loved having it. Lately, due to a tighter budget we have not needed all the space it affords. I decided it was environmentally irresponsible to continue using it right now with so little inside, so we unplugged it and brought everything into our kitchen freezer. I knew it would be a bit crowded in my small freezer, but I'd get used to it.

Then I realized how this energy saving change would also save money. First, it is easy to purchase more when I have the room to store it. So, I will save on groceries right away because I don't have space in the freezer. Second, having it all in my kitchen conveniently forces me to use what I have on hand before I even go grocery shopping. It is a great way to help manage our grocery budget...I wish I would have thought of this sooner. Cutting our family-of-4 grocery bill has proved to be difficult, and this change will help out. So, give it some thought...do you really need that extra freezer, or can you also save some more "green?"

No comments:

Post a Comment